Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Wrapping up in Serbia

On our last night in Serbia we invited all the friends we had made in Serbia to a local tea house to spend some last moments together and to say goodbye. We had so many young people show up! It was awesome to see all the friendships the Lord had provided for us during our time in Uzice. These young people were so open for relationships and I believe hungry for truth and to know God more. Pray for the young people in Serbia to come to know the fullness of life in relationship with Jesus!



This was a young guy I met while visiting an art school in Uzice. We were handing out flyers for our concerts and I ended up talking to this guy for quite a while about art. He was amazingly talented and showed me some of his work. Unfortunately I didn't see him again while we were in Uzice, except for that final night at the tea house. He just happened to be there also so I was so glad to see him one last time!





Beta, from Romania who is serving on the YWAM Uzice team, and two of the girls from our English Club. Such sweet girls!




Honorary Freedom Fighter membership cards! This is the gang that many of the kids are in that supports the local football team. A few of the guys we met and spent time with are leaders of the group. Peter has a great heart to see the young people using their influence for good and not for violence. We are praying for him to be used to influence his peers and to be protected from those who do not appreciate his desire for non-violence.





Sharing stories, life and testimonies.



These kids were great! If only we had more time to hang out with them! It was sad to say goodbye!

My pastor from Constanta came with Rune our base leader to see the work in Uzice and to pick up our team and bring us back to Romania. Here the guys are having great discussions with Peter about faith and life.


Our final High School English Club! These young people were amazing and it was clear that they loved having us with them. Unfortunately just as we start to know them more its time to go! I hope I will be able to see some of them again some day and continue the relationships. The YWAM team in Uzice will continue to put on English Club every week. Soon they will have another DTS team from Cluj, Romania to help them as well!


This was our last sports day with the kids from the orphanage! We are glad that the YWAM team in Uzice will continue to meet with them weekly. They are really special kids!



One day we planned to bless Uzice by cleaning up the garbage at their main tourist site, an old fortress overlooking the city. But by the time we were ready to go it was pouring rain! So just a few of us went out that day to pick up garbage- but we had a great time! And these two precious kids were the best helpers. The boy is Benny, the son of the pastor in Sombor that we worked with, and the girl is Ivanica, who has been coming to the church activities regularly. They both came to visit us for Thanksgiving and they are great kids. I loved hanging out with them.





So much garbage!!! But we cleaned up most of it! And the kids had a great time finding all kinds of things in the mess! :)

No comments:

"All that is not the love of God has no meaning for me. I can truthfully say that I have no interest in anything but the love of God which is in Christ Jesus. If God wants it to, my life will be useful through my word and witness. If He wants it to, my life will bear fruit through my prayers and sacrifices. But the usefulness of my life is His concern, not mine. It would be indecent of me to worry about that."
- Dominique Voillaume
(From "The Signature of Jesus" by Brennan Manning)